Traveling is one of the most incredible experiences a person can have, but it is important to be prepared because different eating habits, temperature changes and different rhythms can affect thebody’s balance and compromise the vacation. Here are 10 tips to follow to maintain a healthy lifestyle even when traveling.
Take care of your gut
A healthy gut is more resistant to any kind of change, habit, or stress, which is why it is important to follow simple wellness habits. Here are some practical tips that you can put into action right away:
- Take a probiotic supplement daily in the weeks leading up to the trip and for at least two weeks after return;
- eat, when traveling, awide variety of plant foods such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds that provide prebiotic fiber, always paying attention to hygiene as well;
- Hydrate properly: try to drink at least eight glasses of water every day. Increase the dose if you are in particularly hot areas or playing sports on vacation;
- it is advisable to reduce stress as much as possible before travel because chronic stress is a major source of dysbiosis or imbalance of the gut microbiota.
Create your own wellness routine on the go
Gut bacteria work best when they have a daily routine, even when you are on vacation or away from home, so it is advisable to follow some simple steps:
- sleep 8 hours a day: obviously in the case of time zones it may be more complex, but it is still good to try;
- don’t forget physical activity, which can be a run, a yoga session or even just a walk in nature or in a park; – sports help strengthen the immune system, reduce stress and are also good for gut health;
- Finally, it is recommended not to skip meals, but to follow a food day consisting of breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Pay attention to what you eat
During a trip it is easier to pay little attention to what we eat because we are focused on something else or do not want to miss any typical dishes. Indulging in a few off-menu items is perfectly permissible, but we must not neglect our wellness habits. Here are three more tips:
- pay attention to the consumption of junk food, alcohol, desserts and in general highly processed foods high in sugar, refined carbohydrates and saturated fats because it may adversely affect your gastrointestinal system;
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked meat or fish. The same goes for unfiltered water or ice cubes;
- start your day with a yogurt, a serving of fresh fruit and some cereal flakes so you’ll make sure you get the right amount of fiber and energy for the first part of the morning!